Saturday, June 23, 2007

Akaroa and points in between

It's hard to believe that tomorrow I will head back to Sydney for my last day in the land down under. I've made so many new friends and seen so amazing sights. I'm still pinching myself on a daily basis.

Yesterday, Theresa and Emma (Theresa's classmate) took me touring along the coastal region. We went to this wonderful little village south of Christchurch called Akaroa. It was apparently settled by the French at the same time the English were settling Christchurch. It's in a deep valley so the scenery on the way down was spectacular. I am nominating Emma for a Formula One spot. She can get around in her little Toyota like a champ! We had a lovely lunch and I was able to get some jewelry shopping done.

We headed back to Lyttleton and then on to Christchurch where we landed at a wonderful pub. The food was yummy and the beer was delightful. I was blessed with great guides for the day.

Today, I met Theresa at the Chistchurch Cathedral and we went to the weekend market. It was filled with all sorts of sights and smells. I did some last minute shopping and then we enjoyed a nice lunch. It was a wonderful way to spend my last day in Christchurch.

This evening, Mark (the bed and breakfast owner) and I shared a bottle of wine and lots travel memories. He and Andrea have been amazing hosts. They helped to make my stay a memorable one. I'm hoping that I have convinced them to come to Texas; I think they would feel right at home.

Well, this will be the last post for a few days. I'm off to Sydney in the morning and then to Hawaii for two weeks. Linda has apparently put together quite a little itinerary for me which includes Maui, Molokai and Oahu. As I always tell people, everyone should have a friend like Linda! I'm looking forward to some "Hawaiian time".

Take care and thanks again for keeping up with me. I feel so blessed.

Hugs from Christchurch,
Ann

1 comment:

sharron said...

Beautiful picture! What an experience!