Sunday, June 17, 2007

Southwestern Australia

The last 3 days have been a whirlwind, to say the least. I have so much to tell you about yet risk the "putting you to sleep" factor. I will do my best to condense things. For those of you who are interested, I'm now up to over 1200 pictures.

Michael (Chris' friend since childhood, a vet student in Perth) picked me up after his last semester exam. It was great to see him! The last time I saw Michael was at his going away party. It was also fantastic to see Sara, his girlfriend, again. We got up early the next morning and headed to Margaret's River, a wine growing region in SW Australia. We were to be on a winery tour at 10:30 and made it in plenty of time and got loaded onto a bus of strangers. Being on a wine tasting tour is a great way to make new friends. We went to 5 wineries and had tastings at them all. We were also served a light lunch that included a huge worm in the middle of the table which was offered to anyone who dared eat it. Michael, who had spent time in Nepal, downed it. We all had a good laugh. By the end of the tour, we were all singing some Belgian song about a bird. It was a blast! Margaret's River is a wonderful place with phenonenal wines. I can now pose as a wine snob.

Yesterday, we got up early and headed along the Southwestern Coast. Our first stop was to watch the surfers and see the beautiful beach. From there, it was in the car for a long day of driving. Late in the day we saw a sign outside of Walpole for some cabins. It didn't take us long to figure out that this was for us. We spent the rest of the night stargazing on blankets in front of the cabin. Let me tell you, I've never seen a planetarium that looked as beautiful as that night sky did. I just wish I'd known more about the universe and all that is in it.

This morning we continued west and stopped at Conspicuous Cliffs which was one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen. We left there and headed to the Valley of the Giants. It has the third largest trees in the world and a white knuckle bridge that takes you through it. I've decided that Western Australia is one of the world's best kept secrets.

Tomorrow night it's off to New Zealand. Everyone says that it's a wonderful place. I'm sad to say goodbye to Australia but I will have one more night before I head to Hawaii on my return from New Zealand.

You have probably already figured out that this has been the experience of a lifetime. I can't wait to come back and share the stories.

Thanks again for the notes; they mean so much. I miss you guys!

Hugs from Perth,

Ann

3 comments:

Steven said...

I see you have posted 2 of the 1200 pics. That's a bunch.
You are still loved and missed.

Unknown said...

I'm hanging on your every word! I'm not saying that I'll sit for a viewing of all 1200+ photos, but I sure want to see most of them...perhaps over a glass or two of Australian or New Zealand wine? The New Zealand Savignon Blancs (I can't even begin to spell it and I'm too lazy to go downstairs and look at a bottle to check) are my very favorites.

The puppies have left the building! I found fabulous homes for three and three went back to the breeder yesterday - a great experience all the way around.

Enjoy every minute!

Leslie

sharron said...

Hey! I'm reading between the lines and laughing! I know you are having a wonderful time. We miss you. Can't wait for you to come home!