Hey everyone!
I'm sitting on the 8th floor of the Hilton in Adelaide. The view is magnificent. I've decided that Adelaide is now on my "favorite cities" list. Could it be that I feel like I've been taken back 150 years? The city is surrounded by park (by design) and the buildings are gorgeous. I'm sure you're say to yourself, "why is Ann in Adelaide"? Well, I'm so glad you were asking yourself that. I'll get to it in a moment. Just ponder for a few more seconds.
I'll give you a brief update about leaving Barker. My last day at Barker was teaching a lecture hall full of students and another similar scenario a little later. It was so much fun! The students were fun and hopefully enjoyed it as much as I did. The history department went to the Blue Gum for a beer and Diana joined us. As I knew it would be, it was tough saying goodbye. It was inevitable, however. I will miss Marcel, Greg, Liz, Andy and the rest of the gang. They were fabulous hosts.
We moved out of the apartment yesterday morning and moved our stuff to the Harborview Hotel. Diana was to be there for her last night and I will be, as well, in a couple of weeks. It has the most amazing views of the Sydney Harbor. Diana took the cab with me to the train station and after an interesting "meet up" with a gal from Hilo, I loaded my stuff into my closet, I mean sleeper car. It was the most efficient use of space I've ever seen. The views were awesome and for the first 2 hours I pinched myself. This was going to be one of the best experiences of my life!! Ok, I know you're still wondering why I'm in Adelaide. I'll get to it...
The food on the train was so good and I met some lovely people. After dinner, I returned to my closet, I mean car and my bed was laid out. There were about 3 inches between me and the door with the window on the other side. It was much like laying on a padded ironing board but it really was pretty comfy. I tossed and turned with the train and most everyone I talked to at breakfast agreed that it would take some getting used to. They didn't sleep either. We still had 2 nights, no worries, as they say. Shortly, after that discussion, a voice came on the intercom and informed us that a freight train had derailed in the Nullarbor. We could only go as far as Adelaide. Bummer!! I was so disappointed but as we all know, things happen. We were unloaded and given the necessary vouchers and whisked off to the hotel after a prepaid tour. They have made us reservations to fly on Quantas to Perth tomorrow (coming out of our refund) and then they have booked me a room in Perth (on my dollar). I'm sure it's the most expensive one in Perth. Again, no worries. Anyway, I just found out that I leave on the 8 am flight. Awww....how lucky am I? At least I'll have most of the day in Perth to do what I want Always look on the brght side as my father used to say.
I'm still having the time of my life. I have come to the realization that I'm a very lucky lady with the best friends on the planet. Steven, sorry it didn't work out babe but thanks for the birthday present. I'll never forget it. Tomorrow I will leave for Perth and will be there about a week. I'll send another dispatch from there. Again, thanks for your love and support. You just have no idea how much it means to me.
Big hugs from Oz,
Ann
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Ann, I love your outlook! I'm so sorry about the train trip but at least you did get to experience the civilized life aboard a luxury train. And you're right...you will never forget it!
Are you headed anywhere near the torrential rain and flooding in Australia? When I saw your post title, I was afraid that the "oh no" had to do with the weather. I'm going to assume that you are going no where near wet, yucky weather - and if you are, I know that you will see the brightest side of that too!
I do wish you could see the "grown-up" puppies - they are absolutely adorable now.
Have fun! I can't wait for the next post!!
Leslie
hi ann from grapevine glad u having a great time in the cold air its been hot here had 104 heat index on sat its now 550pm sunday gues su heard dad had his opr on fri and came out ok steve probably told u already send me a card or email if u can allent38@aol.com or the addy i gave u on phone
My beautiful lady,
The important thing to me concerning the train is that it was another train that derailed, not yours. Considering the struggle that we went through to find each other, the winds of fate smiled on us once again by sparing you any real misfortune.
Steven
Post a Comment