Wednesday, June 20, 2007

New Zealand

Greetings from Christchurch!

I feel as though I've been dropped off into what England was like 100 years ago. Christchurch is a beautiful city on the Southern Island. It's very cold here; it was -3 degrees celsius the first day I was here. I should add that my metric is as bad as it was before I left so I can't tell you what that is but I do know it's very cold!

Just to give you an idea how far it is from Perth to NZ, it was a 6 1/2 hour flight. I took the redeye which meant that my first day here was a blur. Luckily, I was able to meet up with Theresa (ex-student now in grad school here) and she helped me get my bearings. We went into the cathedral, which is the city center, and the choir was rehearsing. It was a choir of men and young boys in black robes and lacy collars. Oh my, the sounds gave me chills; it was some of the most beautiful music I'd ever heard. We went back for the service and it was an evening I'll never forget. We followed it up with the best fish and chips I've ever had.

Yesterday, I took the trans alpine train to Greymouth. The southern Alps were spectacular, to say the least. I found myself nodding off on the way back, it was like being rocked. It made for a wonderful day.

Well, I'm off to the city centre. Today is to be the shortest day of the year. I hope to find some merino wool/possum stuff. It's all the rage here.

Take care of each other and I'll post again when I can. Thanks again for the notes; they make me smile.

Hugs from Christchurch,
Ann

2 comments:

Gail said...

Good Day!
It's great to read your blog and to see what a wonderful time you are having. I am anxious to see your pictures.

We arrived home from our Mediterranean Cruise Sat. night late (the 16th). We had a blast!We left from Rome (Civitavecchia) and went to Sicily, Mykonos, Greece, Turkey, Santorini, Rhodes, and Athens, Greece. After the cruise we stayed 5 days in Lerici, Italy on the coast. Our hotel room balcony overlooked the ocean and beach.

Most the the people on the cruise were Americans. English was the primary language. In Italy, English speaking people were hard to come by. Vino and pizza was our most popular words.

I'm going to NC on Sunday for a week. I'll also visit SC and Va. I'll be back home for a week and then travel around north Texas for the next 15 weeks working. I'll only be home weekends.

Mom seems to be doing fine. I talk to her everyday but haven't seen her yet. My laundry has kept me busy. I plan to go up to see her tomorrow or Sat.

Keep having a fun and safe time. I dread that 24 hr. flight for you. Our 10 hr. flight from Rome to Chicago was a killer. I don't sit well.

Oh, I did win over $2,100 at the casino on the ship and played in a Texas Hold 'em Tournament. I placed 4th but they only payed 2 places of course. I was thrilled with my winnings.

Hugs from the Horton's in Cleburne.
Gail

sharron said...

Keep wowing me! I would have loved to heard that choir! Just remember to come HOME!!